Friday, December 16, 2011

Changing Careers in Midlife and Beyond

This is my next column in Germany's Spotlight magazine. I thought you might enjoy an advance look.

It's not easy to change careers, especially if you're older and especially in this economy, but it can be done. These are the ways my career coaching clients have most often done it:

1. Ask all your relatives and friends, real-life and online, for example, on Facebook and LinkedIn. Unless it's a very low-level job, most often it's only a friend who will be willing to hire someone with no experience, which by definition, is what a career changer is. Tell your relatives and friends in ten words or less what you're looking for. Examples:
  • I'd like to combine my law degree with an interest in health care.
  • I'd love a job working with my hands, especially outdoors.
  • I'm not an artist but I like working with aesthetic products: fashion, decor, art.
  • I've very social so any professional job where I work on teams would be fine.
Note that you needn't be highly specific. If you're too specific, for example, "I'm looking for a job as a project manager in a fuel cell fabricator," the odds are too small that your friends will have leads for you. On the other hand, it's usually wise not to say "I'm open to anything." That makes you seem desperate and unskilled at anything.

2. Train with a short program. Most older people don't find it worth the time to complete a multi-year degree program. And remember that older people tend to take longer than the expected time to complete their degree. So look at short job training programs offered by your professional association, a community college, etc.

Examples of careers with relatively short training: fundraising, project management, sales, iPhone technician, piano tuner, home stager, bookkeeper/tax preparer, irrigation designer/installer, locksmith, auto body repairer, baker, bus or truck driver, massage therapist, nanny, and database administrator. Not only are such programs a source of fast training but often of job leads from your instructors and your fellow students.

3. Become self-employed. It's tough to convince an employer to hire an older person even if s/he has much experience. It's harder still if you're changing careers--no experience, no contact list, nothing. So, if you're a self-starter and cost-conscious, you may wish to start your own business. You instantly go from disgruntled employee to CEO, where you run things as you like.

Key to maximizing your chances of success is to copy an already successful simple business: Don't innovate; replicate. Rather than be a guinea pig for some untested idea, it's far safer to replicate someone else's successful business in a different location. For example, let's say you notice gourmet soup/sandwich/salad trucks have long lines. Visit the few busiest ones and incorporate their best features into your own, of course, in a busy location.

4. Decide you don't need a career change, just a career tweak. Might you be happy enough if you did the same work but for a different boss? Different work for your current employer? If the latter, give your boss a proposal for a revised job description that would emphasize your strengths and preferences while meeting your employer's needs.

I should warn you that many of my clients find themselves no happier in their new career in their old one. They bring their weaknesses or bad attitude with them to the new career. So look inward and ask yourself, "Honestly, am I likely to be so much happier and more successful in my new career that it's worth the time, money, and hassle of starting over?"

If so, great. I have indeed seen people become happier in both their professional and personal life from a career change--even if it means a decline in status. One person was a Ph.D. school psychologist but was frustrated at the slow progress of special needs children. She quit, became a pediatric nurse, and is ecstatic!

6 comments:

Adele said...

Did you know that the knowledge of who you truly are (and which career you could actually get paid to shine like a star at in this lifetime) is no further away than your own DNA - "locked in" at the exact time you were born?

Did you know that this knowledge, which you've been carrying around with you in "code form" from birth, only needs to be plugged into a special calendar to reveal it's secrets to you in pure form?

Did you know that, for over 1,750 years people used the secret code inside this calendar for deciphering who they were and where their special talents lay,

But that this secret code was lost when the Roman calendar was imposed on the "New World"...which is the same one we all use today? Click Above Link For More...

>>>Click Here To Know More About Power Quadrant System<<<





Andrea Robertson said...

He is no scam,i tested him and he delivered a good job,he helped me settle bank loans,he also helped my son upgrade his scores at high school final year which made him graduate successfully and he gave my son free scholarship into the college,all i had to do was to settle the bills for the tools on the job,i used $500 to get a job of over $50000 done all thanks to Walt,he saved me from all my troubles,sharing this is how i can show gratitude in return for all he has done for me and my family

Gmail; Brillianthackers800@gmail.com
Whatsapp number; +1(224)2140835

Anonymous said...

I am a widow with two kids, i want to share my testimony on how i paid all my debts and own myself a business.
I went online then i came across a testimony about a blank card, i decided to give it a trial, all to my surprise it came through. i got the card, each day i withdraw $ 2000 and i have withdrawn the total of $ 80000.
i am so thankful and grateful to william scot hackers whom God used to take me out of debts and poverty
i am sharing this because i know so many out there are in need do not doubt, i can guarantee you the best with william scot hackers, if interested email him on williamscothackers@gmail.com
whatsapp number +13475938976

Wilson said...

How do I get money back from Scammers? Reach out Recovery Masters.

I must give special thanks to Recovery Masters, Specialized hackers in Cryptocurrency Recovery  and lost Bitcoin wallet tracing, My wife and I happened to be scammed by an online scammer who claimed to be professional and knowledgeable in the field investments. I and my wife had agreed to invest our savings pounds worth $623,400 in form of Crypto. This scammer persuaded us to invest in an online platform called Cryptos-seed.com.' 'I was persuaded to deposit the funds to platform that would generate us much profits on a daily basis. The profits generated significantly, but on asking on how my withdrawal of the funds ,the swindler provided multiple excuses and was asking me to invest more funds. On search on how to recover The lost funds I came through Recovery Masters who were able to recover a significant portion of the lost funds .Contact them through; Mail Recoverymasters@email.cz Whatspp; 1(204){ 819}-{5505}

Linda Anthony said...

Get $2,000 USD everyday for 2 Yeras. Contact for more info email: ( darkwebonlinehackers@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp number : ( +18033921735 )

Amelia Claudien said...

In the world of cryptocurrency trading and investment, one needs to be careful of the risk involved. I was naive enough to believe I could make huge returns from my cryptocurrency investments without doing proper research about it. I lost $543,000 worth of USDT and BTC in a failed cryptocurrency investment scheme. Luckily for me, I was able to reach out to a reputable cryptocurrency recovery company that goes by the name SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE. I was able to recover successfully all the money I had invested into the scheme. I’m grateful to the services of SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE and this message is a recommendation to everyone who intends to recover their cryptocurrency funds. SPYWEB CYBER IS THE MOST RELIABLE CRYPTO RECOVERY TEAM.

THE CONTACT EMAIL OF SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE IS AS FOLLOWS: SPYWEB @ CYBERDUDE . COM

ON WHATS APP AT: + 1 3 2 3 9 0 4 8 8 2 4

WEB SITE: SPYWEB . TECH

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online